You Are Reading

PLACEMENTS_MUSIC


I was fortunate enough to spend a week with Design By Music helping put together some installations for a project they were doing called The office is dead. An old office space was going to be filled with installations in order to commemorate the death of the office, and promote as a new (to be) renovated creative space. 
While on my week in Manchester I got to help out the designers putting together some ultimately impressive pieces of work. What I found more valuable was the experience of talking to designers, and also understanding how the studio worked in terms of the staffing and the general day to day goings on. I was not fully immersed in the studio, however I did learn a lot about the company structure through asking questions, and my own speculation. 


























The Office, Installations




The Studio


theofficeisdead.com

The final website with installations I helped complete. The website work a Design Week award for Interaction Design.

Off the back of this placement I have been offered a 5 week placement at the end of the year. The team were impressed with my dedication and said as a reward I would be able to do a placement. This seems to bypass all interview and portfolio crit stages, and I have the opportunity to do a placement without worrying about approaching the studio. This goes to show that there are various ways to engage with studios and I feel that this may not have been as successful if I had contacted them out of the blue. Music are a great studio ti be involved with. There breadth of work and range of projects really excites me. There studio is a fantastic environment and there is a nice studio culture there that I will be using as a basis to make comparisons at other places that I will go. I like that the studio works with a variety of sectors, however focusses on producing the creative but appropriate solutions to a range of different problems and contexts. 


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.